One night at home watching TV with the family... $Priceless
One popcorn kernel, a trip to the Instacare, and another trip to the ENT... $Really Expensive
The other night we decided to pop some popcorn while we watched TV. The next morning there was a little left over in the bowl and the boys wanted to finish it, so I let them. Then they started to play and make a mess more than eat it so I took it away. I noticed Landon was holding some kernels in his hand and I told him to go throw them away. About 5 minutes later, he kept saying to me "somping in my nose" I thought he was referring to a booger and didn't think much about it. I tried to get him to blow his nose with a tissue, but he is not much of a blower yet and it didn't work. He was very distraught and kept sticking his finger up his nose to try and get it. A couple of minutes later he yelled "momma" and I turned around and saw blood coming from his nose so I picked him up and took him to the kitchen to clean him up. The blood was gushing out and wouldn't stop. It was at that moment I realized what was up his nose... a popcorn kernel. What do I do now, I thought? I ended up taking him to the Instacare, but they couldn't get it out because it was lodged so far up his nose. So they sent me to a Ear, Nose and Throat doctor. Luckily, this doctor was able to get the kernel out with his special tools. On the way home, I thought about how much this little popcorn kernel was going to cost me. I wished that I had realized what was up his nose before it was too late. I never really had a problem with Landon putting things in his mouth, nose or ears until this moment. He definitely knows better now. Later he kept telling me "the doctor did it", which I thought was funny. He's okay now, but it was a little scary for me when his nose wouldn't stop bleeding and it was literally pouring out all over the place. This reminded me of the time when I was babysitting my youngest brother, Michael, while my mom ran down the street for a moment. He was about 2 or 3 years old and he put some wheels to a toy car up his nose. I was 8 or 9 years old and I can remember panicking and ran next door to my Grandma Great's house to get help. She helped me get a hold of my mom and then my mom took him to the doctor. I still remember how frightened I was and really thought he was going to die. Obviously, he didn't and everything was okay.
7 comments:
LOL little ones! kids are so funny! i'm glad he is ok. that does sound a little scary, blood all over the place! that's probably going to be a somewhat expensive popcorn kernel. :( thanks for posting that story!
That is a funny story. I'm sure it wasn't for you at the time. My now 5 year old did that with something a couple years ago. Luckily we were able to get it out with blowing. That was probably horrible at the time. I am a panicker. I do not do well under stress.
Oh no! LOL, I would have freaked.
I'm so glad everything worked out. It will be funny later, seriously. I got a bean stuck in my ear when I was in kindergarten, and my mom still loves to tell the story.
My cousin on her blog posted a similar experience a few months back, except her child wasn't gushing blood so she didn't go to the doctor right away... she Googled for advice.
If Landon ever does it again, well, you can read what worked for her:
http://brittsmitten.blogspot.com/2008/09/tree-balls.html
At Abbie's 3 year old birthday party Caleb Rowley put a crayon in his ear and the tip broke off. They had to take him to insta-care and have it removed. They were charged for an outpatient surgery. I felt so bad that it happened but I never imagined that a child would put a crayon in their ear and we had six or seven adults at the party and no one saw him do it until it was too late. So -- I totally understand.
oh kids... don't they just keep you on your feet. I would not have known what to do either.
Holy popcon Kernal...I need to read the blogs more often. If it were Grace she'd blame Tate. Cute story.
Post a Comment